Week 13: Superheroes Reconsidered

Out of the available resources, Black Panther piqued my interest the most due its huge, almost overnight, prominence in youth culture today -- I've never read the comic and wanted to see where it all originated.

To my surprise, from outside research I learned that the Black Panther first appeared in a 1966 issue of The Fantastic Four, and was the first black superhero to appear in any mainstream American comic. I had no idea that the character's history went so far back. I assumed because of the franchise's sudden and recent popularity, it must have been a relatively new character, story, and comic.

The volume I read seems to be a great example of the resurgence and rethinking of superheroes in modern culture. It focuses on traditional superhero values like justice and strength, but also highlights black power, female power, and love rising above hate. I can definitely see why the series has risen to popularity so quickly -- Black Panther's values echo that of today's youth and offers representation that that traditional superhero stories may not.

Stylistically, though I am not very well versed in the world of superhero comics in general, this comic feels new and modern in the way it's presented. The illustrations themselves are very clean and assumedly done digitally, as well as pretty graphic and visually striking. On a personal note, I love the bold use of color in this comic. It's thoughtful and intentional in the way it highlights certain moments.

Outside of the comic itself, I thought the feature at the end of the first issue was interesting. I'm not sure if this is a special edition of the issue or if it was originally presented this way, but I enjoyed the involvement of the reader in the process of the comic's creation. This, again, makes the comic feel more modern -- it doesn't leave a wall between reader and creator.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 2: Understanding Comics

Week 7: Legitimation